[MPlayer-users] Feature request- Intermediate images

Peter adjunct at start.no
Thu Feb 26 23:44:12 CET 2009

Hello,

this is my first post on this list and in fact I joined the list
to propose a feature.

Lately, LCD TV sets have appeared that calculate intermediate
images from 24p and other sources in order to reduce bucking
of fast moving object or pan shots. This results then in 100 or
now even 200 fps signals.

It is a matter of taste if you like those kind of TV sets, because
the visual appearance of the material is strongly altered. Anyway,
a lot of people actually prefer this mode of view.

TFTs usually connected to a computer run somewhere between
60 Hz and 100 Hz. Thus, also movie playback on a computer could
benefit from the insertion of intermediate images.
In contrast to the TV, where this is done in hardware, a modern
PC should be powerful enough to do this in software, at least for
non-HD material.

Thus, I suggest the development of a plugin for mplayer that
calculates and inserts intermediate images "on the fly" during
playback, resulting in a frame rate adapted to the TFTs individual
horizontal frequency, or at least resulting in 48 fps from 24 fps
cinema material.

I would actually be willing to "pay" for such a feature in the form
of a donation to the mplayer team, should it be implemented in
satisfying quality. I hope others would follow.

Please, tell me what you think!

Cheers,

Peter