[MPlayer-users] debug compiles

Greg Bryant bryantgtx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:38:52 CET 2009

I'm trying to trace through the h264 code, and have a couple questions.

First, is there a way to disable optimizations for compiling?  The default
made by configure has optimizations at 4, with enable-debug it goes to -O1,
but that still inlines code and takes away local vbls, which make my head
hurt.  If I remove optimization completely, I get the following error:
In file included from liba52/imdct.c:725:
liba52/imdct_3dnow.h: In function 'fft_asmb_3dnow':
liba52/imdct_3dnow.h:257: error: can't find a register in class
'GENERAL_REGS' while reloading 'asm'
liba52/imdct_3dnow.h:257: error: 'asm' operand has impossible constraints

I'm also confused about x264.  I've installed it per the docs, compiled it
with --enable-debug, but when I get to what should be a lib call (like
x264_nal_encode), it skips over it.  The work happens, but I can't get to
it.  I don't know if it's due to the optimization or something else in the
config.  Part of my overall confusion is also the way that it all seems to
go through libavcodec, with decoding staying there, but encoding getting
farmed out.  Is it supposed to be that asymmetrical?

Anyway, any doc pointers or RTFM comments with links would be great.  I
think it's mostly a compile issue so I've left it in -users, but if this is
better asked elsewhere, let me know.

Greg