[MPlayer-users] Request for assistance, playing my HD-DVD movies

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sun Feb 22 03:01:25 CET 2009

> Fact is, nobody has ever in history of mankind EVER been arrested or
> sued for being in their home, for backing up (i.e. 'ripping'), or playing
> a movie they owned

Just because you don't get caught it doesn't make it legal.  Most cops are
more interested in fighting actual crimes instead of arresting people for
watching DVDs with mplayer, but the RIAA would much rather they arrest mplayer
users :-)

According to the DMCA it's illegal to possess code that can circumvent copy
protection, which is exactly what mplayer has to do in order to play a DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

Cheers,
Adam.