[MPlayer-users] svga scaling problem

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 13:41:09 CET 2009

On 12/28/08, Dave Wood <dave at unrealize.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm using svgalib to play movies and the last one I played has been a pain.
> My screen in 1024x768 but for some reason svga always plays back in
> 800x600:
>
> Starting playback...
> VDec: vo config request - 720 x 304 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
> Movie-Aspect is 2.37:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
> [swscaler @ 0x886e450]SwScaler: using unscaled yuv420p -> rgb32 special
> converter
> VO: [svga] 720x304 => 720x304 BGRA
> [VO_SVGA] Vid_mode: 36, 1024x768 32bpp.
>
> It says mode 36 1024x768 but it doesn't fill the width of the screen. It is
> exactly the same size as playing back in 800x600.
>
> The only way I've found that works is to -vf scale:1024:-2
>
> I would much rather this is done in hardware than software since this is a
> slowish T42 laptop. So...
>

> Does the line [swscaler @ ... mean that it is using software scaling, even
> if I am not applying -vf scale?
>
> Is there some way of using hardware to scale the image up to max width?
>

> I have what I think is the correct modeline in /etc/vga/libsvga.config:
>
> HorizSync 31.5 48.3
> VertRefresh 50 90
>
> # 1024x768 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 47.70 kHz; pclk: 64.11 MHz
> Modeline "1024x768_60.00"  64.11  1024 1080 1184 1344  768 769 772 795
> -HSync +Vsync
>

> Maybe these nee checking though. I've tried both chipset vesa and ati.

Last time I checked libsvga didn't had any acceleration means to
scale the image by hardware.

This is why the vo driver tries to pick up mode closer to your video.
You may try to create video mode for pal and ntsc resolutions.
Still there is no way to guess the correct aspect for the monitor.

just use scale, or try vidix.