[MPlayer-users] Translucent OSD and subtitles with -vo xv

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Aug 2 17:15:18 CEST 2009

Le quintidi 15 thermidor, an CCXVII, Narf a écrit :
> When I select -vo xv (to get accelerated video) the OSD and .srt
> subtitles are blurry and translucent. It looks like crap, and the
> subtitles are harder to read. With -vo x11 everything looks as it
> should: crisp, opaque, very easy to read subtitles. The command line
> options for OSD don't change this behavior.

With XVideo, OSD elements are rendered on the video as it is sent to the X11
server and then to the video card, which means: at the resolution of the
video (and not of the screen) and in the video colorspace.

Furthermore, if the colorspace is YUV-something, as an optimization, mplayer
only renders the OSD on the Y channel, leaving the chrominance unchanged.
Very saturated colors will then still be visible.

One solution to the first point is to use ASS rendering of subtitles: add
the -ass option. And as the default ASS styles are horrible, you need to
provide a reasonable default style in an ASS file with the -ass-styles
option.

For the first point, if the video is light enough and the CPU strong enough,
you can let mplayer do software scaling, with, for example:
-vf-add dsize=1920:1200:0,scale=0:0
(you need to adapt to your screen).

Another solution is to use a GL-based video out driver, but it does not work
well with all video cards.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George