[MPlayer-users] Translucent OSD and subtitles with -vo xv

Narf narf at mundo-r.com
Sun Aug 2 15:16:22 CEST 2009

When I select -vo xv (to get accelerated video) the OSD and .srt
subtitles are blurry and translucent. It looks like crap, and the
subtitles are harder to read. With -vo x11 everything looks as it
should: crisp, opaque, very easy to read subtitles. The command line
options for OSD don't change this behavior.

This has happened since... well, since forever (I've been using
mplayer for many years), so I suppose it's not considered a bug by the
developers, but I suppose I should ask anyway if there is any
intention to fix this sometime in the near future, or I should resign
myself to using -vo x11 and leave -vo xv only for HD content, which my
CPU can't handle with -vo x11.

Thanks,
Narf