[MPlayer-users] play back 720p video

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sun Sep 28 11:17:05 CEST 2008

> I don't think it is a hardware problem as I can play the same file in
> the same machine with Windows installed.  So I think there should be
> something in mplayer to play HD video.

As I said, mplayer, both the rc2 and recent svn versions do play 1080p
very fine. If the hardware is capable of playing it, it must be some kind
of driver problem.

Using a plain nvidia 6200 PCIe graphics card 1080p even plays smoothly on
the -vo x11 driver, as long as no scaling has to be done. Software scaling
HD will turn even a state-of-tomorrows-art terahertz octalcore racing-fuel
powered processor into a laming donkey.

So if nothing else does help, I would convert the file into an
easy-playable one. First of all, scale to the size at which it will be
played to be sure no scaling is needed when playing. Then, try some easy
decodeable codecs. I don't know which codecs consume the least processor
power, but mpeg2 is always worth a try, as every half-recent graphics card
can decode that with little or no help by the processor.

Greets,
Kiste