[MPlayer-users] Windows Vista playback problems

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Sep 27 10:36:34 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 02:49:50AM -0500, John Smith wrote:
> Hello, just got Windows Vista. When I try to play a video, using mplayer
> console, Vista crashes on me.
>
> But, if I add the switch line: -dr -vo gl:glfinish
>
> it plays... but )Very( slowly.  Is there some other way I can try to
> resolve this issue? :-)

You are missing some essential information:
- MPlayer version
- Graphics card vendor, and if ATI/AMD driver version, since they add
  interesting new bugs in each new driver version.

-vo gl:yuv=2:force-pbo
is the fastest for any half modern graphics card, but does not work with
ATI

-vo gl:yuv=2:force-pbo:ati-hack
is a bit slower and works up to and including ATI 8.8 drivers.

If you have to use ATI 8.9 drivers, use only
-vo gl
and make sure you have the very latest SVN version of MPlayer.

In addition, contrary to XP, Vista uses an extra 10% CPU when vsync is
enabled (regardless if you use Aero or not), so you might want to
add "swapinterval=0" to that.
Without Aero it makes the Video look quite ugly at least in some cases
though.