[MPlayer-users] [OT] Book lists for video processing beginners

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Sep 16 13:55:53 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:33:13PM +0900, Kan-I Jyo wrote:
> To better understand how all the things work, is there any
> recommendation books for beginners like me?

If you find anything good please tell us. So far the general
conclusion is that "useless" is too nice for the books that exist.
You could of course read the specs, but they are hard to get and
sometimes even obfuscated on purpose.
Both of which are one of the reasons for http://wiki.multimedia.cx , but
not sure it is too useful for beginners (it might help understanding
the code though - if you look at code do yourself a favour and do
not start with MPEG (complex and lots of tricky optimizations) but
with something rare like the game formats or RTJPEG (simpler than JPEG,
but quite some similarities).