[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Tue Oct 14 18:29:47 CEST 2008

Hi Phil_Rhodes at rocketmail.com!

 On 2008.10.14 at 16:17:46 +0100, Phil_Rhodes at rocketmail.com wrote next:

> > Uh.. You can use -vo gl to get very fast video output (with yuv
> > suboption), fast hardware scaling AND high-quality subtitles, rendered
> > at screen resolution.
>
> All my subtitles seem to be rendered (in that very ugly font) at the same

It may be a problem with the way you compiled mplayer, or with your
distribtion. mplayer doesn't use bitmap fonts anymore (I think even
support was dropped, not sure though), and uses fontconfig by default,
for easy font managing. I don't know what font it uses by default right
now, but if you build rpm, it'll use Nimbus Sans via fontconfig
(probably not the best choice for everyone, but it's ok, and definitely
not "very ugly").

> resolution as the video frame, composited with it, then scaled by the

Well that's why I suggested using -vo gl. Fonts look much nicer when
rendering at screen resolution (though it eats your cpu, quite
noticeable at high resolutions).

> graphics card as part of the video image. If there is a better way I'd love
> to hear about it, but I'd also like to know how on earth I was supposed to
> know that there -is- a better way!

You read documentation.

---
       MPlayer  has an onscreen display (OSD) for status information, nice big
       antialiased shaded subtitles and visual feedback for keyboard controls.
       European/ISO8859-1,2 (Hungarian, English, Czech, etc), Cyrillic and Ko-
       rean fonts are supported
---

If it promises you nice big antialiased shaded subtitles (of course,
size, border, transparency and color are configurable, though the last
two require some advanced options).

If you want an example, here are my options related to subtitles:

vo = gl:yuv=2:lscale=0:swapinterval=1:osdcolor=0x20f8ff20,x11
sub-fuzziness = 1       # load all subs containing movie name, not only exact match
subpos = 96
subalign = 2    # subtitle position & alignment
spuaa = 20              # antialias vobsubs
subfont-osd-scale = 5
subfont-text-scale = 4
subfont-autoscale = 2 # proportional to image width, not diagonal
ffactor = 1 # narrow black outline
subfont-blur = 2
ass = yes
ass-hinting = 5 # freetype autohinter is best, light mode is nice at high res
font = Arial
fontconfig = on

if you want to try this, mind that -vo option is system-specific and may
require appropriate video card and drivers to work; some options are
related, and if you remove some of them, subtitles can get ugly unless
you change or remove some others; this configuration requires mplayer to
be compiled with freetype and fontconfig support.

--

Vladimir