[MPlayer-users] Synchronizing multiple instance of Mplayer over the network

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Fri Nov 28 09:32:41 CET 2008

Am 28.11.2008, 03:08 Uhr, schrieb Jose Tavares <jaatavaresf at gmail.com>:

> curious topic ...
> i was discussing exactly about this with 2 colleages and yesterday i
> joined
> the list.
> now, i found your message...
>
> in my research i found something interesting ..
> Using the tilesort SPU, Chromium can provide 3d acceleration over the
> entire
> DMX display (consisting of multiple machines).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xdmx
>
> have you looked for xdmx?
> i think you can do the same running just 1 mplayer, xdmx and chromium ..

At the expo 2000 word fair I was maintaining hardware of something doing
exactly this: In-sync playback on multiple machines. It was in 2000, so it
was proprietary software running the players on windows and one extra
machine used to keep the others in sync. The resulting video spread over
15 large plasma displays in a row. Doing something like this by means of
the VLC or XDMX proposal would mean to play a single video with a solution
of about 28800x1080 pixels. I think that would need quite a fast processor
and a considerable bandwith. If this large video is first chopped in 15
smaller videos, the player hardware requirements would be somewhat easier
to meet.

That's why I would prefer trying a sync mechanism. The "speed_incr" method
sounds reasonable, that would be the first for me to try if I got the time.

Thanks!

Kiste