[MPlayer-users] pre-existing libdvdread

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Nov 6 15:33:49 CET 2008

On Thursday, 06 November 2008 at 15:22, Nico Sabbi wrote:
[...]
> something is wrong with the current naming system: dvdread is only
> a library thus it should be renamed to libdvdread (and installed as
>  such), as it was for a short period of time, until Dominik renamed it
>  for the sake of backwards compatibility (maybe, I don't remember).

Yes, that was the exact reason.

> We should do something disruptive and call it lib<something>
> consistently

Well, consider this: when you link to a library, you use -lfoo and not
-llibfoo. I'm not against renaming the directory in which the headers
are installed, but in that case we should rename our libdvd* forks, too.
Maybe call them libdvd{read,nav}2 ?

Regards,
R.

PS. I think this discussion should be moved to dvdnav-discuss list.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
oppression to develop psychic muscles.