[MPlayer-users] pre-existing libdvdread

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Thu Nov 6 15:22:18 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008 15:13:24 Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski on Thursday, November 06, 2008 at
> 14:09:01 +0100
>
> > On Thursday, 06 November 2008 at 00:54, Christian Ebert wrote:
> >> * Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski on Wednesday, November 05, 2008
> >> at 19:09:20 +0100

> >> Arrgh, sorry, I meant libdvdread. As per subject.
> >>
> >> Yesterday's libdvdread latest svn installed into
> >> /usr/local/include/libdvdread here; and I had to make the
> >> symlink to */dvdread.
> >>
> >> Again, sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > Ehhh, I'm sorry too. What I wrote above applies to libdvdread,
> > not libdvdnav. Libdvdnav has always installed its headers into
> > /usr/include/dvdnav.
>
> Ok, let's get this sorted out once and for all ;-)
>
> 1) libdvdnav  headers go into <prefix>/include/dvdnav
> 2) libdvdread headers go into <prefix>/include/libdvdread
>
> Now, we both explicitly agree on 1), how about 2) ?
>
> I can only state that 2) happens when I do "make install"; which
> is why I had to make the symlink because eg. vobcopy expects the
> headers in <prefix>/inlcude/dvdread. The api itself works.
>
> Please don't tell me that something's wrong with my installation
> ;-)

something is wrong with the current naming system: dvdread is only
a library thus it should be renamed to libdvdread (and installed as
 such), as it was for a short period of time, until Dominik renamed it
 for the sake of backwards compatibility (maybe, I don't remember).
We should do something disruptive and call it lib<something>
consistently