[MPlayer-users] Is it possible to embed mplayer in anotherapplication?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue May 6 15:58:13 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 02:26:26PM +0100, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> > Does the mplayer have some kind of interface for embedding it?
>
> I have used slave mode quite extensively but it won't let you do lower-level
> stuff like redirecting the rendered output. The reason I mention it here is
> to warn you that it is as far as I can tell pretty much unmaintained and has
> more than a few bugs, despite being (as far as I can tell) quite frequently
> used. In my application I ended up restarting mplayer every file just to
> have access to all the options I needed. So, allow me to answer your second
> question with a negation - slave mode is probably not the place to start.

Please try pushing more to get the issues with slave mode fixed.
I have limited time and it will take some time before I will fix
something I don't even use but usually I will do it when people keep
complaining.
E.g. I fixed setting properties in idle mode just a short time ago
(admittedly, that was quite trivial to do, so other things might take
longer to do, and some things might not get fixed any time soon
regardless of how many people complain ;-) ).
I also seem to remember a patch that adds message for start/end of
playback that probably would be useful, but nobody pushed that long
enough either.