[MPlayer-users] font file attachments in Matroska files

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Tue Mar 18 22:15:49 CET 2008

Duane Evenson wrote:
> Is there a way I can direct mplayer to automatically use the fonts
> included in the mkv file as attachments.
> Right now I use mkvmerge to identify the attachments. Then I use
> mkvextract to get the font attachments. Finally I move the fonts to
> ~/.fonts.
> Now I'm able to play the movie with the correct subtitle font.
> It is a pain doing this all the time and some automated solution within
> mplayer would be nice if it isn't there already.

Hello,

Yes, with:
-embeddedfonts (FreeType only)
              Enables extraction of Matroska embedded fonts (default:
disabled).  These fonts can be  used  for  SSA/ASS  subtitle  rendering
              (-ass option).  Font files are created in the
~/.mplayer/fonts directory.
              NOTE: With FontConfig 2.4.2 or newer, embedded fonts are
opened directly from memory, and this option is enabled by default

Best wisher, Phil