[MPlayer-users] Next rc or 1.0 anyone

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at bnet.at
Fri Jun 27 20:22:11 CEST 2008

Raimund Berger wrote:
> Martin Emrich <emme at emmes-world.de> writes:
> >> if you use in "production" something you didn't test thouroughly
> >> we can hardly be blamed. Ever heard that "the winning team
> >> doesn't change" ?
> >
> > What means "in production"? For me, it does not necessarily mean "I earn
> > money with it", but also for my personal use, I "produce" something
> > (e.g. archival of my TV recordings). So if it's not meant for commercial
> > use, not for private use either, what is it for anyways?

"In Production" does always mean the same. You do something of value. If you
compress videos for long-time archivation, it's productive use. If you encode
videos for your pmp, it's productive use. If you make a dvd, it's productive
use. Encoding a video to see if the encoding options are still right or the
outcome is what you want, is not "productive use" but is most
certainly "thourough testing".
Come on, this is common sense. You do not update a software in a productive
environment, neither commercial nor private, without testing if everything
still works as expected. And you do only fully switch to the new version when
all problems are solved.

> It's the term used by people who don't take any responsibility unless
> they get paid, and some of them even then won't. "Why, you used it in
> production, it was never meant for that, it's free man ...".

wtf

> Like you say, with this kind of application anything people do with it
> is "production" as long as they care about it and spend time, and
> maybe even money.
>
> Think of the home user who mistakes mencoder as something useful, buys
> new hardware to do some backups and then finds out how bad things can
> go. "Why, you took us for serious? It was never meant for production
> man, it's free ...".
>
> Considering that Linux now runs critical parts of the New York Stock
> Exchange, I think we know where professionally managed OSS projects
> can go, given the right attitude and approach. Although it's free, it
> runs in "production".

You do not expect those administrators on the New York Stock Exchange to
update the system they have in use, without it being tested thouroughly
before do you?
In fact, I do not see a difference concerning linux-update in their
environment and MPlayer-update in yours....