[MPlayer-users] MPlayer performance problems with Compiz

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at bnet.at
Sun Jun 22 20:35:31 CEST 2008

Diogo Franco:
> I'm having some problems with athe 'usable' VOs when I'm using compiz.
> My video card is a NVidia MX4000 (NV18 C1), fixed function. CPU is a
> Semprom "Palermo" 2800+, with 768 MB DDR400 RAM. OS is Ubuntu Hardy
> 64-bit with linux-rt as the kernel.
>
> MPlayer is r27120-4.2.3, FFmpeg is r13836. MPlayer links to libav* with
> dynamic linking and they both are compiled with "-O4 -pipe -march=native
> -mtune=native -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -msse2 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -ffast-math".
>
> I made a few tests using the VOs to discover the best VO to use. The
> command line I used is:
>
> [SNIPPED]
>
> Watchable only with sdl and x11. gl2:noglfinish is watchable only on
> fullscreen.
>
> I can't use CoreAVC to save some CPU time because it outputs garbage if a
> frame is skipped.
>
> Based on all that information, I'd like some help to find the 'perfect VO'
> and options for mplayer to watch the 720p video. You can ask me to
> "torture" my system if that helps :)
>
> Without compiz, the best one was 'xv:adaptor=1' and the 720p video was
> watchable. It dropped a lot of frames too, but wasn't very bad.

Hi Diogo!

I don't know if this helps or not, but the mplayer-build of slackbuilds.org
got a patch added recently for fixing xv with compiz.
The patch is for mplayer-1.0rc2 but it does also apply cleanly against trunk.
As I don't use compiz I can't test if it works though.
Here's the link to the patch:

http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/12.1/multimedia/MPlayer/patches/mplayer-1.0rc2-compiz.diff

Grs,
Heinz