[MPlayer-users] Dumping specific audio stream from a DVD

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Jul 12 13:46:42 CEST 2008

petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
| On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Alexander Roalter wrote:
|
|> petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
|>
|>> Is it possible to dump the video and only a specific audio stream from
|>> a DVD?
|> -dumpstream always dumps the entire stream, including all audio channels.
|>
|> There is (or was) a -dumpaudio variant, which I'm not sure does what you
|> want, but your best shot is to dump the entire stream and later extract
|> the audio:
|>
|> mplayer stream.dump -aid 131 -ao pcm
|>
|> creates an audiofile.wav file. If you have enabled -channels 6, it is a
|> 6-channel wav file
|
| But wouldn't that ONLY be the audio stream?  What I want to end up
with is
| a .mpg (or .vob) file that contains the video stream AND a specific audio
| stream.
|
|> Or, you can use from the transcode project the tcextract tool:
|>
|> tcextract -i stream.dump -x ac3 -t vob -a 131 > audio.ac3
|>
|> which extracts the AC3-Stream from the file with id 131. MPlayer can
|> play back this ac3 stream with no problems.
|
| Likewise with this... isn't this extracting ONLY the audio stream?

Then I misunderstood your problem. In this case, you'll have to remux
the stream.
Again with the transcode package, first extract the audio stream you
want, then the video stream with

tcextract -i stream.dump -x mpeg2 -t vob > movie.mpg

and finally mux them together with
mplex -f 8 -o finished.mpg movie.mpg audio.ac3

You can add other audio tracks by adding them to the mplex command line:
mplex -f 8 -o finished.mpg movie.mpg audio.0.ac3 audio.1.ac3 etc.

Subtitles are lost in this process. You'll have to extract them with
spuunmux (also in transcode), and mux them later in the finished file
with spumux. The Problem with that: the color palette upon extraction is
lost (or at least I don't know how to specifiy one for spuunmux), and so
you'll have to use the imagemagick convert to make white subtitels with
black borders again (or do some other fancy stuff).

- --
Cheers,
Alex