[MPlayer-users] Next rc or 1.0 anyone

Nan Null hovh03 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 05:06:22 CEST 2008

----- Original Message ----

No, that's not a problem.  It takes a lot more to have a release.  One of them being understand how important it is.
Saying there should be no expectation of a release, of quality, of when it's done, it's done when it's done, etc. is just reckless in software engineering.

svn/cvs may not be the best tool, but I have seen them used and have used them in big projects without problem.  It takes a lot more to do a good release than just the SCM thing.  It's planning, coordination between different developers, organizing features, evangelizing developers and helpers to put out documents, and do marketing (if they feel their product and mind share of developers are important, after all users become developers in open source are the norm).

The biggest problem is not seeing a value in a good coordinated release.  There's a science to release a piece of engineer.  It's no secret.  One way maybe  better than another, but not doing it at all is just reckless.