[MPlayer-users] problem playing compressed MJPEG video

Stefan Strobl nst at gersys.de
Mon Feb 25 19:23:52 CET 2008

Dear all

I'm new to this list and relatively new to mplayer. I've searched on
google for this but didn't get any further so I'm hoping that someone on
this list will be able to help me.

I want to view a Motion-JPEG video stream via http from my AXIS network
camera with mplayer. On the camera side I can do some video settings
(resolution, compression, maximum framerate, etc.) and I am generally
able to view the video like this "./mplayer http://IP/mjpg/video.mjpg", but:

1. The video only shows if I disable the compression, i.e. set the
compression to 0. Setting the value to anything else, mplayer cannot
display the video. In this state I have to press Ctrl+C twice in order
to exit abnormally. Is the mjpeg decoder supposed to handle different
compression levels?

2. I don't quite understand the command line option -fps. If - on camera
side - I set the maximum to 30fps and call mplayer with "-fps 5" the
video still seems to be updated 30/s. I also have to reduce the maximum
framerate on the camera to 5 in order to make it go slower. Is the -fps
option supposed to work with mjpeg?
BTW. When calling mplayer it first always first states 25fps:
  VIDEO:  [MJPG]  640x480  0bpp  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
  [...]
  FPS forced to be 5.000  (ftime: 0.200).

3. According to the output I get on the console, the libavcodec of
ffmpeg is used for mjpeg decoding. When configuring mplayer with
"--disable-decoder=mjpeg" I can still view the video. This configure
option doesn't seem to be working with me. Do I have to additionally
enable some other switch to make the switch work?

I've attached two log-files with debug output (-msglevel all=9) enabled,
One "compression0.log" with the working video and one
"compression30.log" which does not display the video.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Best regards
Stefan Strobl