[MPlayer-users] (macosx) How to build a mplayer.app from svn?

David Wagner dhwagnertx at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 00:07:56 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 4:32 PM, The Wanderer wrote:

> William Xu wrote:
>
>> At present, I can only get a command line version. Does the svn repo
>> support building a GUI version?
>
> Yes, but IIRC it's not as good as some of the front-ends out there
> (though I don't use either except when setting it up for someone
> else in
> Windows), and it is not strongly supported.
>
> ./configure --enable-gui

I don't think that's quite the right answer to his question. He wants
a MacOSX app.

Here is a clue from svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayerosx/trunk/INSTALL.txt:

"To build MPlayer from source code, you must first open up Terminal,
select and navigate to your base build directory and checkout the latest
sources from CVS (you will require both the main and mplayerosx
modules):

   svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/ main
   svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayerosx/trunk/ mplayerosx"

You run ./configure  and make in the directory main to build an
mplayer binary. Build one version with altivec for PPC and another
for Intel.

  You copy the mplayer binaries to

mplayerosx/External_Binaries/mplayer.app/Contents/MacOS

and

mplayerosx/External_Binaries/mplayer_noaltivec.app/Contents/MacOS

now cd to mplayerosx, execute 'make' and 'make dist'

You should now have a file such as "MPlayer-dev-SVN-071205.dmg" in
the mplayerosx directory.  Open this in the Finder and double click
the installer pkg file.

Things may have changed since I updated my svn. Read the INSTALL.txt
file.

When you build the mplayer binary, you may need to configure as follows:

./configure \
--disable-gui \
--disable-mencoder \
--disable-xinerama \
--disable-xv \
--disable-x11 \
--enable-largefiles \
--enable-macosx-finder-support \
--enable-menu \
--with-freetype-config=/usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config

The last bit came from
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2007-October/
069486.html

David Wagner