[MPlayer-users] 5.1 DTS downmixed to stereo using pan filter

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Fri Dec 26 20:44:38 CET 2008

Hi all,

I have a number of 5.1 wav files encoded in DTS. I would like to
downmix the 5.1 DTS to a stereo wav. After googling and because I am a
Linux users, I've found out that my best bet is to use mplayer and the
pan filter. I have tried to do this:

    Left = 0.707 x FC + 1 x FL + 0 x FR + 1 x SL + 0 x SR + 1 x LFE
    Right = 0.707 x FC + 0 x FL + 1 x FR + 0 x SL + 1 x SR + 1 x LFE

with the following command:

    mplayer dts.wav -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast:file=stereo.wav -af
pan=2:0.707:0.707:1:0:0:1:1:0:0:1:1:1

as I understand that in DTS, the channel ordering is:

    DTS: FC, FL, FR, SL, SR, LFE

but I am getting a file where the left channel is much louder than the
right channel. Is this because my assumption for channel ordering is
bad? Or am I using the pan filter incorrectly?

By the way, are the coefficients I am using for the pan filter OK or
can they cause clipping?

Thanks
Avinash

--
avinash at noulakaz.net - http://www.noulakaz.net/ - (230) 493-9394

Those who fail to understand C++ are doomed to reimplement it. Better. [Jez]