[MPlayer-users] Quicktime playback on MPlayer/Linux -- Somevideos play in ultra-slow-motion?

Terry Linford trrlnfrd323 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 20:24:54 CEST 2008

Dominik,

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> I hope that explains the issue a bit.

It's a reasoned and, in contrast to others', polite comment.  Thank you.

Still, it doesn't /change/ this user's experience to know this.  The
bottom line is, we install a mainstream distro, paying for disks to
support the Linux community, and follow recommendations to install
"X".

When problems arrive, we're thrust into a melee of project politics,
difficult personalities, etc, with each entity pointing the finger
elsewhere.  I'm curious -- how far should an "average user" be
expected to go to get a product that works?

It may be the 'best' product out there, but unless it /works/ for the
average/typical user -- which is /not/ a build-it-from-snv developer
-- it shouldn't be touted as such.

A quote from one of the reivews references @ the MPlayer site says it best --

"What should the Linux movie player of your dreams do? It should play
any movie/video that you throw at it. No questions asked—just play.'

I agree.  And, I'll choose simply to not use this product as a result,
and don't expect for one single moment that any of these
build-it-yourself-ers care about my decision or experience.