[MPlayer-users] Quicktime playback on MPlayer/Linux -- Somevideos play in ultra-slow-motion?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Aug 31 20:04:52 CEST 2008

On Sunday, 31 August 2008 at 19:06, Terry Linford wrote:
> Phil,
>
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >> Not only don't I know that, I don't even know what that means :-(
> >
> > It means they've written custom modifications to the code.
>
> Thanks for explaining.  After reading countless -- and so frequently
> indignant -- claims of "Linux is ready for the masses" articles, given
> my simple (in)experience here, this hardly seems to be the case.
>
> Add to that the inevitable excuse of "you pay for stuff" on Mac or
> Windows, and I really understand WHY one pays for things on
> Mac/Windows -- They work & your don't have to tolerate such sweeping,
> 'elitism' @ your 1st bump in the road.

You are both somewhat mistaken. It all depends on the distribution
which you are using. Granted, it is not obvious which of the many
is best for you, but that diversity is the price (some would say:
advantage) of freedom. For legal reasons, MPlayer can't be included
in distributions whose owners operate in the US. OpenSUSE is one
of them. Packman is a third-party add-on software repository for
OpenSUSE, based outside US, so they can provide the package. They've
decided to stick with 1.0rc2 "release" version. We (MPlayer developers)
have no resources to provide support for released versions for longer
than a couple of months due to the pace of development. That is why
you are told to go to your distributor with your problems first. They
are meant to act as intermediaries between users and upstream developers.
There's no ill will on our part, we just don't have the manpower.
If you report a bug against current development source, we can try and
fix it, but if we were to backport patches from it to older releases,
we'd have much less time for development. It is the packager's job to
keep in touch with the developers and update their package in a distro
(or backport patches) on a regular basis. The same thing is done with
many other programs, including the Linux kernel.

I hope that explains the issue a bit.

Regards,
R.

--