[MPlayer-users] Quicktime playback on MPlayer/Linux -- Somevideos play in ultra-slow-motion?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun Aug 31 18:55:00 CEST 2008

> Not only don't I know that, I don't even know what that means :-(

It means they've written custom modifications to the code. This is almost
always necessary regardless of platform because the single biggest problem
Linux has is consistency and standardisation, but it's even more necessary
on Windows or MacOS because they differ more significantly.

The problem with the "compile from SVN" approach is that it exposes you to
all these issues directly. You will probably be glibly told to "type
.configure && make && make install" which will, under theoretically perfect
circumstances, compile a working mplayer executable. Unfortunately,
circumstances that perfect do not exist in anything other than fringe cases
even on Linux and you will end up applying patches and/or hacking the C code
directly.