[MPlayer-users] Howto make dumpstream quit if no stream to dump?

tps tps at netmaster.dk
Tue Aug 26 12:41:47 CEST 2008

Dear All,

I have a setup where I stream video with ffserver/ffmpeg.

Sometimes I don't what the stream to be available through ffserver, so I
quit the ffmpeg process that sends data to ffserver.

Besides streaming the video I would also like to save the video for
later reference.

For that I use mplayer with the dumpstream option connecting to the
stream I serve through ffserver/ffmpeg.

Is there anyway I can set up a call to mplayer with the dumpstream
option so the stream will be dumped when ever the stream is available? I
would like the mplayer command to run all the time so I don't have to
call the mplayer command when ever the stream is up again.

When I call mplayer with the dumpstream option and the stream is served
everything is fine. I capture video to a file. But if the stream is
unavailabe or becomes unavailable mplayer just hangs. I do not get my
prompt back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas S