[MPlayer-users] fixed size fonts in subtitles?

Bartek Ćwikłowski paczesiowa at dw.pl
Tue Aug 26 01:38:33 CEST 2008

hello,

I have a problem with subtitle font size - I would like to have fixed size
fonts (not depending on movie ratio) so I thought that -subfont-autoscale 0 (as
stated in man page) would do just that. so I tweaked command line switches to
my liking (video takes 645 pixels of screen and the rest is filled with
subtitles) and it works great on movie with resolution 512x272 but on another
movie with different width/height ratio subtitles are smaller for some reason.

this is how I fire up mplayer (global and user configs are empty):
mplayer -vf dsize=1280:645,expand=::0:0::1280/768 -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-
text-scale 20 -fs 1.avi

and this is what I get:
(good, 512x272) http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/795/88089386ue5.jpg
(bad, 640x352) http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6748/42631700tu8.jpg

clearly fonts are somehow scaled with movie resolution ratio (which contradicts
man page that says for −subfont−autoscale "NOTE: 0 means that text scale and
OSD scale are font heights in points.")

do you know how can I achieve desired effect?

thanks in advance,
Bartek Ćwikłowski