[MPlayer-users] Playing QHD (3840x2160) material with mplayer

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Thu Apr 17 01:07:27 CEST 2008

So what format is this video in?

If it's an AVI or something, that shouldn't really
present a problem - it's just a big disk array, or, if
it's short, a lot of RAM.

I'm not aware there's a provision that any playback
software should intrinsically be able to figure out
that media size is less than available RAM and
therefore cache the whole thing. There are many
situations where that wouldn't be desired behaviour -
although I'd have hoped you could cause it to be done
by offering mplayer the right settings.

Phil

<http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2008-April/072641.html>