[MPlayer-users] mplayer problem with lirc

Mohammed El-Afifi mohammed_elafifi at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 13:43:11 CEST 2007

I'm using fedora 7, 64-bit edition. I've recently installed mplayer as a binary RPM package called mplayer-1.0-0.80.20070715svn.lvn7.x86_64.rpm, and as a dependency lirc also as a binary package called lirc-0.8.1-1.fc7.x86_64.rpm. It works fine except for the lirc support. When I start mplayer, I get the following error messages about lirc:
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Connection refused
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
OK. I searched for a lot of help about this message in google and the archives of mplayer, and I found some hints.
First, I created an empty file called ~/lircrc.
Lirc isn't configured to run its daemons by default when the system boots, but this isn't a problem as I can configure it to start with each system boot. The problem is that even if I start it manually, mplayer immediately closes lirc daemons when it starts(yes, without posting any error messages about lirc). So, when I close mplayer and starts it over, if finds lirc not running(because mplayer closed lirc in the previous run) and it posts the error messages shown above again.
Another hint was to make sure that /dev/lirc has the access flags set to 666 with chmod. Actually, /dev/lirc on my system doesn't always exist; it's created on the fly when the lirc daemons start. However, I queried the access flags of /dev/lirc after starting and found it already set to 666.
I found some postings talking about something called lircc, but I haven't found any package on the internet(according to my search) containing such a program.
The main problem seems to be mplayer failing to start lirc when mplayer starts and mplayer stopping the lirc daemons if they're already running. Does anyone have an idea why this happens or how to overcome it?
Appreciating your feedback. Thanks for your support.