[MPlayer-users] Only one instance of mPlayer

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 04:50:29 CEST 2007

On 9/20/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/09/2007, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:55:54 +0200
> > "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How can I configure mPlayer to play the file in the previously open
> > > instance, replacing whatever is currently playing?
> >
> > Write a program/script to do so, controlling MPlayer via slave-mode.
> >
> > Or you might take a look at any of the MPlayer front-ends listed on the
> > website, to see if any of them already has such a feature.
>
> I'm having no luck getting this working, but I'm not much of a bash
> scripter. Is gregping  "ps -ux" for mplayer not the right way to get
> the PID?
>
> Many programs, such as Firefox and Amarok, have a %U option that tells
> the program to open the document in an existing window if there is
> one. Has mPlayer not such an option?
>
> Dotan Cohen

On my system, Fedora 7, ps -ux doesn't work; instead it wants "ps
ux", no hyphen.  Not sure what you're doing with the output.  Remember
that you'll get the PID  for the grep command too.
--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.