[MPlayer-users] SVN compiling problem - resolved!

JonY 10walls at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 20:02:05 CEST 2007

Alexander Bokovikov wrote:
> John Brown wrote:
>
>> You can generate your output in a more useful format with:
>> make > make.txt 2>&1
>
> Here is it:
> http://home.bokovikov.com/mplayer/mplayer-logs.zip
>
> Could you check it?
>
>> Something has gone wrong there. If you really want to find out what, you
>> can
>> run 'bash -x make > make.txt 2>&1'.
>
> I can't do it for some reason... I've got an error:
>
> "mingw/bin/make: cannot execute binary file"
>
> What it could mean?

Bash could not execute make, try 'bash -x make.exe > make.txt 2>&1'.
Also are you using Vista by any chance?

The mingw installer recomends not placing make.exe under mingw, put it
under msys instead.

>> 1) Download and install (configure --enable-static --disable-shared
>> --prefix=<your-usual-prefix>)
>> libxml2-2.6.27
>> libxslt-1.1.20
>
> Have found them. That's OK. Though yet not installed them because of the
> below:
>
>> 2) Download docbook-xml-4.1.2.
>
> The only reference I've found leads to some file "docbookx412.tgz". Is it
> what I need? Also there is a link to some "docbook stylesheets". Should I
> install it too? Could anybody give me the direct link to the correct
> docbook's files?

I'm not really familiar with docbook, I'm still having problems getting
it to work under mingw. The Cygwin version works without any problems,
just fire up cygwin bash and build the docbooks from there.

>> Listing only the versions that are more recent than yours:
>> libvorbis-1.2.0
>> libtheora-1.0-alpha7
>
> I had a problem with theora alpha 7. A message appears, reporting an error
> of some type redeclaration (don't remember now it exactly), which is
> originally defined in libvorbis 1.1.2. Had you any issues with libvorbis
> 1.2.0 + libtheora alpha7?

Hi,

I removed "typedef unsigned long int ogg_uint64_t;" from lib/dsp.h to
make it compile with ogg. Did you do the same?

> Also, (as you can see in my log, pointed above), theora and live are
> disabled for some reason. Why?

You put the whole live555 dir as /usr/local/live. More info here:

http://www.live555.com/mplayer/

You may add --with-extraincdir=/path/to/live555 if the above does not
solve your problem.

About the missing libtheora, for some reason configure did not pass
-logg to gcc while testing linking to libtheora. Earlier header checks
did not even specify libtheora.

gcc -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4 -march=i486
-mcpu=i686 -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer
-Ic:/mingw/include/freetype2 -Ic:/mingw/include -static  -lwinmm
-lws2_32 -liconv -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lungif -Lc:/mingw/lib -lfreetype -lz
  -lopengl32 -lgdi32 -lgdi32 -lwinmm -lgdi32  -o
/tmp/mplayer-conf-24858-940 /tmp/mplayer-conf-2620-940.c
C:/DOCUME~1/Alex/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccW0aaaa.o:mplayer-conf-2620-940.c:(.text+0x22):
undefined reference to `theora_info_init'
C:/DOCUME~1/Alex/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccW0aaaa.o:mplayer-conf-2620-940.c:(.text+0x2d):
undefined reference to `theora_comment_init'
gcc -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4 -march=i486
-mcpu=i686 -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer
-Ic:/mingw/include/freetype2 -Ic:/mingw/include -static  -lwinmm
-lws2_32 -liconv -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lungif -Lc:/mingw/lib -lfreetype -lz
  -lopengl32 -lgdi32 -lgdi32 -lwinmm -lgdi32  -o
/tmp/mplayer-conf-24858-940 /tmp/mplayer-conf-2620-940.c -ltheora
c:/mingw/lib\libtheora.a(libtheora_la-toplevel.o):toplevel.c:(.text+0x8e):
undefined reference to `oggpackB_read'
c:/mingw/lib\libtheora.a(libtheora_la-toplevel.o):toplevel.c:(.text+0xc3):
undefined reference to `oggpackB_read'
c:/mingw/lib\libtheora.a(libtheora_la-toplevel.o):toplevel.c:(.text+0x221):
undefined reference to `oggpackB_read'

You don't seem to have pkg-config, mplayer configure seems to make use
of it for some of its autodetect routine. pkg-config makes checking for
appropriate cflags and library dependency detection easy. pkg-config can
be found here.

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

Put pkg-config.exe in your /mingw/bin dir. It requires the dlls from
glib-2.12.13.zip and gettext-0.14.5.zip. You only need these runtime
packages.

After that try recompiling libtheora, which also uses pkg-config so it
finds libogg. Test libtheora by using the following command.

$ pkg-config --libs theora

It should return something like this.
-Lc:/mingw/lib -ltheora -logg

If it returns

Package theora was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `theora.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable.

set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to your libtheora install prefix
libdir/pkgconfig, eg /mingw/lib/pkgconfig.

> JonY wrote:
>
>> Many of your libs are configured with --disable-shared. Have you
>> considered using shared libs?
>
> I don't need DLL's because I use MEncoder in another project. I use it not
> only for myself.

Well, its fine either way. Building a dll requires all undefined symbols
to be resolved at compile time, ensuring the compile phase went
correctly, all symbols expected from a library package is present and
usable. Using dlls may cause further complications such as relocation
address and base addresses, etc.

You can always remove the corresponding lib*.dll.a files so only static
.a libs are used.

>> A bit OT, but how did you managed to get libregif? All I got was 404s,
>> even going through TOR didn't help. Can you post it on a mirror?
>
> It was done a couple of months ago... Nevertheless you can find it here:
> http://home.bokovikov.com/mplayer/libs/

Thank you very much for the mirror!!

Hope I can help.