[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Build Testing

Daniel Taylor dtaylor at vocalabs.com
Wed Oct 31 16:50:35 CET 2007

Meh, he is a bit over the top, but this is a project that draws a lot of
end users, and the tone of a lot of the responses is flat out rude.

My suggestion, if you are a contributing developer and see someone
complaining about a bug that you know is already fixed say something like:
"This is a known issue that has already been fixed",
follow up with either:
"Upgrade to version x.x.x or later and you will no longer see this
problem" if you know where the fix is, or "upgrade to the latest
available version, we prefer that people run off the latest version." if
you don't know where the fix was (or are just really uptight about
people running anything older than head).

Too many of the responses to people with problems is "compile it in
debug mode from version control head or we're not going to listen to
you". While that is a reasonable response to people posting questions on
a developer list, it is really too high a bar for a users list. In fact,
I'd wager that better than half of the people who get this response have
no idea what you are talking about when you say it.

I understand that everyone posting answers and helping people out here
is a volunteer, but if you are so fed up with answering the questions
that you can't put yourself in the end user's shoes for long enough to
compose a polite reply, you probably should refrain from hitting "send".