[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Build Testing

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Wed Oct 31 11:06:59 CET 2007

Il Wednesday 31 October 2007 10:48:20 Phil Rhodes ha scritto:
> If you're developing the thing, you are, by definition, a software
> engineer.

no, an engineer is a person who has a degree in engineering

> I think I'm being misinterpreted here. I, like a lot of people I
> think, would like to see opensource software become a lot more
> mainstream. This isn't going to happen until it becomes a lot more
> usable. Making it effectively impossible for laypeople to report
> bugs is both unnecessary and divisive, and quite ludicrously
> circular.
>
> You have to ask the question - why does mplayer exist? If it's just
> a fun software project to toy around with for your own amusement,
> then fine, do what you like with it. But if it exists to play back
> video, then it's a user tool and putting these artificial
> limitations on it simply look like an attempt to avoid bothering to
> answer questions. "You're not compiling from source? La la, I can't
> hear you! Speaking to you is beneath me!"

there aren't artificial limitations: if someone wanted to add
limitations there would be a couple of #error here and there
in the source files to prevent building mplayer on particular
platform(s) (something that I'd really love to do, but I resist the
temptation).
You don't seem to understand that if you use a binary
version of mplayer not released from Dominik or someone
else of the team you are very likely to have some patch
applied or -at the very least- lack debug symbols,
thus either you can't even post a gdb backtrace or
you are using a version of the code that maybe was
already fixed in svn.
As for build problems: someone will look into it when he
has time and patience (we all have real work to do for a living),
hopefully even the guy that posted that build log and that
other idiot message; for sure his behaviour doesn't deserve
any care

> Yes, yes, I know, nobody on this list is obliged to answer any
> questions but while it exists it may as well be effective.
>
> Once again: I'm on your side. I wish it were not so. But don't tell
> me I'm wasting bandwidth when 50% of posts to this list can be
> summated as "ha ha, you're teh lus3r, we r t3h l33t l1nux h4xorz!"
>
> Phil

the percentage is not as dramatically high as you paint it