[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Build Testing

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:48:20 CET 2007

If you're developing the thing, you are, by definition, a software engineer.

I think I'm being misinterpreted here. I, like a lot of people I think,
would like to see opensource software become a lot more mainstream. This
isn't going to happen until it becomes a lot more usable. Making it
effectively impossible for laypeople to report bugs is both unnecessary and
divisive, and quite ludicrously circular.

You have to ask the question - why does mplayer exist? If it's just a fun
software project to toy around with for your own amusement, then fine, do
what you like with it. But if it exists to play back video, then it's a user
tool and putting these artificial limitations on it simply look like an
attempt to avoid bothering to answer questions. "You're not compiling from
source? La la, I can't hear you! Speaking to you is beneath me!"

Yes, yes, I know, nobody on this list is obliged to answer any questions but
while it exists it may as well be effective.

Once again: I'm on your side. I wish it were not so. But don't tell me I'm
wasting bandwidth when 50% of posts to this list can be summated as "ha ha,
you're teh lus3r, we r t3h l33t l1nux h4xorz!"

Phil