[MPlayer-users] Transparent subtitles problems

Rob Quill rob.quill at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:38:58 CEST 2007

On 12/10/2007, Reimar Doeffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 11:54:59AM +0100, Rob Quill wrote:
> [...]
> > mplayer GitS_s01.e01.vob -alang jp -vobsub subtitles -vobsubid 0
> > GitS_s01.e01.vob
>
> You must add a proper palette to the [I think] .ifo file for the
> subtitles. Try google if you can find more info.

Hi,

I tried changing the command to:

mplayer GitS_s01.e01.vob -alang jp -vobsub subtitles -vobsubid 0
GitS_s01.e01.vob -ifo GitS_s01.e01.ifo

However, there seem to be a number of problems in the output:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/impact.ttf doesn't look like a
bitmap font description, ignoring.
Cannot load bitmap font: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/impact.ttf

Playing GitS_s01.e01.vob.
VobSub: Can't open IFO file
No matching VOBSUB language found!
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 3)  25.000 fps  8000.0 kbps (1000.0 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
VDecoder init failed :(

The last errors about there being no matching colorspace are always
present, although it would be nice if I could fix them, but my main
concern is that is says "cannot find IFO file" although it does not
specify what it is looking for. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Rob Quill