[MPlayer-users] Mplayer plugin CPU-intensive on

cga2000 cga2000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 16:26:18 CET 2007

non-English environments.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:02:08AM EST, Kevin DeKorte wrote:

> cga2000 wrote:
> > A more practical reason why I prefer not to use the mplayer plugin to
> > listen to radio streams is that with seamonkey at least, it is rather
> > CPU-intensive and rapidly causes the laptop's fan to start whining.. all
> > but ruining the listening experience.
>
> A recent oversite in mplayerplug-in has been corrected on mms streams
> when mplayer was being used on non-english environments. mplayerplug-in
> was switching to non-blocking mode during the connection phase and
> because of a bad string match the non-blocking mode was not turned off
> when the LANGUAGE was not en. I believe I have corrected this in CVS of
> mplayerplug-in.
>
> Also, you may want to try gecko-mediaplayer + gnome-mplayer which a
> comparable browser plugin to mplayerplug-in. You can get them from here
>
> http://dekorte.homeip.net/download/

Thanks much for the information.

"about:plugins" says I'm running version 3.31.

As to using gnome-mplayer, I'm not sure it's going to help since I would
need to fire up seamonkey .. do a google search to find suitable radio
stations .. optionally use Reimar-like wizardry to determine the urls ..
etc.

But I've never used gnome-mplayer and the gecko media plugin ..

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thank you.