[MPlayer-users] Files with escaped names don't open

Mark Tilford ralphmerridew at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:52:18 CET 2007

I have some videos with special names (containing spaces or brackets).
 System is Ubuntu.

If I try to open one of them from the file manager, I get an error
"Failed to open file:///...%20...".  If I choose "open with custom
command / gmplayer", I get the same problem.  If I "open with custom
command / mplayer", it works fine.

Watching with ps indicates that in the first two cases, the filename
is passed as an escaped URL, and in the third as a filename.

In the past, I had been using the Ubuntu packages; I recently switched
to an svn snapshot.

Any ideas how to get it working again?