[MPlayer-users] Files with escaped names don't open

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:11:07 CET 2007

On 11/5/07, Mark Tilford <ralphmerridew at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some videos with special names (containing spaces or brackets).
>  System is Ubuntu.
>
> If I try to open one of them from the file manager, I get an error
> "Failed to open file:///...%20...".  If I choose "open with custom
> command / gmplayer", I get the same problem.  If I "open with custom
> command / mplayer", it works fine.
>
> Watching with ps indicates that in the first two cases, the filename
> is passed as an escaped URL, and in the third as a filename.
>
> In the past, I had been using the Ubuntu packages; I recently switched
> to an svn snapshot.
>
> Any ideas how to get it working again?

I use Fedora myself, but my mplayer hates spaces and isn't too fond of
brackets either.  Usually works to wildcard the characters you're
having trouble with and you can always rename the files.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.