[MPlayer-users] watching 4:3 encoded 16:9 stuff fullscreen

hakai bone-idle at web.de
Thu Nov 1 17:09:23 CET 2007

i have some recordings in svcd format, which has to be encoded with an
aspect ratio of 4:3 to work w/ my hardware dvd-player. for 16:9 movies that
means the file contains black bars at the top and bottom. my new monitor has
an aspect of 16:10, so now with this movies there are black bars all around
the movie.

is there any way to zoom the movie to the screen-width while keeping the
original aspect ratio (this would crop some of the black bars obviously,
like in mpc's "touch window from outside") in fullscreen mode. i'm using
mplayer 1.0rc1 on winxp sp2, vo=directx, monitoraspect=16:10

thx in advance - hakai