[MPlayer-users] Unique playback a/v sync issue..

John Hunt johnrhunt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:39:25 CET 2007

Hello,

About a year or so ago, I bought myself this system:

Asus Pundit P1-AH1
Athlon64 3700+ (2.2Ghz) CPU
1x 512MB Kingston DDR DIMM
250GB Seagate PATA HDD
SONY DVD RW AW-G170A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Onboard GeForce 6 51PV
Onboard MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

I have had the following issue when running both the distro and latest
stable versions of mplayer on Ubuntu 6.10 and Debian Sarge with video
files of type mkv and xvid (files which I've verified play correctly in
mplayer on my 1.4ghz celeron laptop with intel i810 gfx):

When I play a video file, the audio is lagged by approx .5 - 1 second
(never more, never less).

I have tried various configuration settings in mplayer, such as those
listed here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugs-audio.html

and a whole bunch of different video drivers and sound driver arguments.

What's strange is that Gnome's totem seems to play the same files
without a hitch. I like totem, but when it comes to PVRs, it's generally
not the right tool for the job (well, not for me it's not).

I'm currently using the latest nvidia proprietary driver on the system,
I think I need that for TV out though.

I've played around with BIOS settings (they're fairly limited on the
Pundit's Phoenix BIOS), no luck there either.

Additional:
MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu13 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ (Family: 15, Model: 39, Stepping:
1)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

If anyone can even just point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate
that very much!

John Hunt - johnrhunt at gmail.com
http://www.john-hunt.com/