[MPlayer-users] Cropping in original-size vs reduced-size

Jorge Fábregas jfabregas at onelinkpr.net
Fri Mar 23 17:37:36 CET 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 8:09 am, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> why don't you crop before rescaling?

I do. I was just talking hypothetically just to show my point.

> something like
> crop=704:480:8:0,scale=608:-10,expand=640:480

Why would I crop black bands in order to have them back (using the expand
option)?

The problem I'm having is:

1- If I crop based on original frame size and I my target resolution is
640:480, the actual footage will not be 4:3. Let me make this clear:

It's not the same to crop and scale than to scale and crop.  I know the first
one is the way to go but I just don't know how to end up with the proper size
if I downscale to 640x480 for example.

2- (hypothetically speaking). If I scale to 640:480 I'm actually getting 4:3
(and the image looks as it should AR-wise) but then I have black bands on
sides that I want to get rid of.

Basically, I want to downscale but I'm not sure if for proper downscaling you
should consider the original frame size (720x480 with black bands on sides)
or if you need to just consider the actual contentent (cropped).  I tend to
think is the first one..since that's the way the signal is sent ot the TV
when I play the DVD on my TV.

Jorge