[MPlayer-users] Segfault in mplayer

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 10:45:06 CET 2007

Hi,

On 3/18/07, qsd at rogers.com <qsd at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi again,

First of all, please do not to-post on this mailing list. The
preferred quoting style here is interleaved posting. More about this
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

> I did some testing of my hardware (memcheck, cpu stress test, etc), and
> it all checks out just fine. The cpu stays well below 35C during the
> playback (Load is only 20% after all). I've also watched a bunch of
> movies since my last posting, just to make sure that there isn't anything bad
> going on with the OS, and it all went fine.

Ok, good.

> So once again, the segfault happens at the more or less random position
> in the movie, but always in the same function (put_h264_chroma_mc4_mmx).
>
> By know I'm fairly certain that this is the mplayer bug, but since it is
> so rare, and I've already watched that movie with a different player, I
> am not that concerned whether it gets resolved... However, if somebody
> wants to check it out, I will gladly provide any info required.

There aren't many ways to help us find the bug. You need to extract
the shortest possible sample (the shortest the better as that way we
don't have to wait for ages for the crash to happen) and upload it to
ftp://ftp1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming with a relevant name, such as
'avc4-crash-put_h264_chroma_mc4_mmx', and post a message  to ffmpeg's
development mailing list (the library we use to decode videos), with a
the name of the sample you uploaded.

Hopefully, the talented people there should be able to soon fix the bug.

Guillaume