[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] movie-aspect autodetection failes formkv in r22325

lists at eastcheap.org lists at eastcheap.org
Tue Mar 6 02:07:56 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Could you explain why you are using -vc xvid?
> AFAIK, this should neither be necessary nor useful.

I already did (see my post concerning mplayer's inability to produce the
last frame of xvid-encoded video).  I had thought that the ffmpeg decoder
was losing frames, but I'm now inclined to think that this probably isn't
the case.

That said, I still use xvid to extract frames from (xvid) streams just
based on the (perhaps faulty) assumption that xvid can deal with its own
bugs more gracefully than ffmpeg.  I.e., it seems to work and I'm not
interested in experimenting where gigabytes of raw frames are concerned.