[MPlayer-users] 2->6 channels pan

Captain Blade 0blade at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 09:33:51 CEST 2007

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to mplayer, so please forgive my ignorance. :-)
I am trying to play 2-channel audio on my 5.1 speakers. I have a VIA
8251 sound (Realtek ALC 655 chip).
I read the manual (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/advaudio.html),
and devised that I have to pan
my 2 channel input to 6 channel output, duplicating FL to RL, FR to RR,
and mixing the left and right to center and subwoffer.
By the manual, I should have 2 groups of 6 mulipliers in pan:
mplayer 01\ -\ Yumeji.mp3 -channels 2 -af
pan=6:1:0:1:0:0.5:0.5:0:1:0:1:0.5:0.5
It displays "AO: [oss] 44100Hz 6ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)", but
still plays only in FL and FR speakers.
When I test the speakers with "AO: [oss] 44100Hz 6ch s16le (2 bytes per
sample)", it works fine with all channels.

What did I do wrong?

Blade