[MPlayer-users] Playback issues with dual-core - audio/video out of sync or hangs

Tue Jun 5 21:16:25 CEST 2007

Hi Brano!

 On 2007.06.05 at 09:06:05 -0400, Brano wrote next:

> > What mplayer's status line looks like a few seconds after video started
> > speeding up? A-V: and ct: parameters are interesting.
> When it hangs (still picture and sound) the CPU hits 100%. But I can
> easily get out of that hitting Ctrl-C. Every time I do that I get this
> message
> MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: sleep_timer
> Full dump of one of these hangs below.

Well I don't know about this problem, a lot of things can lead to that.

There are three paths in sleep_timer module - nanosleep, softsleep and
rtc.
Unless you have rtc or softsleep options in config, mplayer should use
nanosleep path.
Check output of "mplayer -v movie | grep timing",
"mplayer -v -rtc movie | grep timing" and
"mplayer -v -softsleep yourmovie | grep timing".
First one should write "Using nanosleep() timing", second shouldn't
write anything, third command should output "Using software timing".

RTC may not work, so you'd better check if
"cat /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" prints "1024" and /dev/rtc device
is readable by user which runs mplayer. If number is less than 1000 or
/dev/rtc is readable only by root, you'll have to fix that before trying
rtc method.

Anyway, try softleep=yes in your config and see if problem will go away.
Don't worry about cpu usage when using softsleep. In case it won't help,
try rtc=yes.

> > Also, can you put "mc = 0" in your config and check if these things
> > continue to happen (it may break some other files though)? Note that
> > "mc = 0" test must be independent of previous one.
> mc=0 has no real effect on any of the issues I have.

No, it won't solve anything hang-related - it's about some a-v sync
issues.

--

Vladimir