[MPlayer-users] dumped realmedia stream not playable with realplayer

Lev Givon lev at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 5 21:08:55 CEST 2007

Received from Nico Sabbi on Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 11:45:30AM EDT:
>  Lev Givon wrote:
>

> >> we develop and support mplayer, not realplayer
> >>

> > Should I understand the above response as attributing the stream
> > dumping results I observed to a problem with realplayer (or perhaps
> > the software used to generate the stream I recorded)? That I was able
> > to view the live stream with various realmedia-compatible players but
> > can only view the saved stream with mplayer suggests that mplayer is
> > not dumping the realmedia stream properly.
> >
> > 							L.G.
> >

>  how can we know what realplayer wants?

When I played the saved streams in mplayer, I noticed that mplayer prints
the line

demux_real: invalid chunksize! (0)

before it starts playing the video. I didn't notice this error when
playing a realmedia file that realplayer could also play. Examining the
saved stream files with a hex editor revealed that the file's DATA
chunk size and number of data packets (i.e., as described
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=RealMedia) were both 0; this
was not the case with realmedia files that realplayer could play.

>  do vlc and xine play that dumped stream?

According to http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html, vlc doesn't
appear to support realvideo.

Notwithstanding its purported support for realmedia, xine-lib 1.1.4
does not seem to be able to play any realmedia files or streams at all
because of issues loading the binary codec libraries. I haven't tried
the later versions.

						L.G.