[MPlayer-users] Playback issues with dual-core - audio/video out of sync

Mon Jun 4 21:20:54 CEST 2007

Hi Brano!

 On 2007.06.04 at 12:45:27 -0400, Brano wrote next:

> Thanks for response.
> The upgrade was from Athlon64 3200+ to Athlon64 X2 3800+.

Well 3800+ shouldn't be slower than 3200+. It could be just a bit
slower, but since dualcore system works smoother and second core can
care about other applications when you are watching movie, it should be
better even for mplayer.

A64 @ 2ghz should be enough even for h264 720p, at least with -vf-clr.

> around 40-50% peaking to 75%. The other core is pretty much 0%.
> The same movie on the old single core was somewhere 60-80% CPU.
>
> The weird thing is that this is not happening always. It's random.
> Sometime 30min into movie, sometime later on. Not on the same spot.
> Suddenly the video starts running faster but the sound is OK. When I hit
> FF and Play everything synces again.

Oops! I missed this. Thought your video becomes slower than audio.
Definitely not cpu load issue.

> Thoughts?

First, try updating to latest bios (dunno if it'll help, but at least
won't hurt). Also try updating mplayer to latest svn.

What mplayer's status line looks like a few seconds after video started
speeding up? A-V: and ct: parameters are interesting.

Also, can you put "mc = 0" in your config and check if these things
continue to happen (it may break some other files though)? Note that
"mc = 0" test must be independent of previous one.

--

Vladimir