[MPlayer-users] sending mplayer audio output to stdout

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 23:29:49 CEST 2007

josh at techlab.cviatlanta.org wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to redirect the output of mplayer to stdout?

Unfortunately, no, because (unless I've missed major progress on this
front) some of the text which MPlayer prints to the console is printed
via stdout and would wind up in the middle of the redirected stream,
which would of course become garbled and broken.

There is, or was, an effort in progress to correct the parts of MPlayer
which print text to stdout so that they print to stderr instead. Last I
heard, however, it was nowhere near being complete enough to let
anything other than text be usefully sent to stdout.

> I need to re-encode a windows media audio stream as a shoutcast
> stream, and would like to be able to do something like:
> mplayer -quiet -playlist playlist.asf -ao pcm:file=-
> or something similar to get audio through a pipe.  I can't use fifos
> for this since mplayer tends to crash if the fifo is broken.  Any
> suggestions or alternative solutions would be appreciated.

If MPlayer crashes, then it's a bug which should be reported (following
the bug-reporting guidelines).

What do you mean exactly by "broken", here? What causes the breaking?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.