[MPlayer-users] Doubt about stop-xscreensaver

Salatiel Filho salatiel.filho at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 11:29:58 CET 2007

On 1/11/07, Andrew Savchenko <Bircoph at list.ru> wrote:
> On 11 Jan 2007 06:22 Salatiel Filho wrote:
> > Well , i was not used to use xscreensaver but now i need lock
> > features , so to avoid screensaver shows up during the play i
> > use mplayer -stop-xscreensaver.
> > The problem is that mplayer takes almost fifteen seconds to
> > start when i use that option, showing in the console:
> >
> > xscreensaver_disable: xscreensaver wid=71303169.
> >
> > This delay is really annoying. Am i forgetting something or this
> > is the normal behavior ?
>
> It is not normal behaviour, and it is not confitmed in general. I'm
> using mplayer-r21838 and xscreensaver-4.21. With
> -stop-xscreensaver everything is ok. It's your system issue.
>
> What versions of mplayer and xscreensaver do you use? Try to
> upgrade. Also try to run mplayer in debug mode or under strace
> (the best IMO) to figure out what happens during this delay.

I am using mplayer SVN version from yesterday , xscreensaver 5.01

strace shows that mplayer stops in:

clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_PARENT_SETTID|SIGCHLD,
parent_tidptr=0xbfa66f08) = 29821
waitpid(29821,

PID 29821 is

salatiel 29821  0.0  0.1   3052  1476 pts/1    S+   07:28   0:00 sh -c
dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface isEnabled 2>/dev/null | sed
's/1/true/g' | grep true 2>/dev/null >/dev/null

any ideas ? [i do not use kde]