[MPlayer-users] Widescreen Question (To scale or not scale)

Jorge Fábregas jfabregas at onelinkpr.net
Sun Jan 7 18:29:55 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm wondering what's the best thing to do when you want to encode a DVD
chapter from a 16:9 DVD.  Let say I just want to create an avi file (with
lavc) .  Which one of the 2 options is the recommende one?

1-  No scaling and I'll specify in the filter that the source has an aspect
ratio of 16:9.  The video will be encoded at 720x576 and during playback (as
it has the widesreen flag set) the player will play it at 1024x576

or

2- Should I scale the video to 1024x576 (without specifying it's a widescreen
aspect ratio) during encoding so that the final video itself is at 1024x576?

Thanks!
Jorge